Goodbye New Mexico, hello Texas
Wednesday March 29. Day 25. Radium Spring to West El Paso. 53 miles or 85 km.
It was freezing cold overnight and when we woke up it was once again 3 degrees below zero. I could see my breath and my fingers became numb during packing. Vicki was ready before me and Debbie and John, the home owners, called here inside. I quickly finished and when I walked into their home a roaring fire awaited me. Vicki and I sat in front of the fire warming our cold hands while my heart was filled with warmth. What kind and hospitable people John and Debbie are.
Around 8 am we left after saying our goodbyes. The road was flat and in excellent condition. I think that New Mexico won the best price yet for the best maintained roads. The landscape was similar to yesterday's so no pictures were taken today. In the distance was a mountain ridge but shrouded in a haze. I think maybe because today's temperatures were finally decent (25 degrees Celsius). The 1st hour though was still very cold but gradually the sun began to warm us. That felt so good.
Around 11.30 am we saw a meager sign "welcome to Texas". I always thought that everything was big in Texas! We took some pictures and to celebrate this occasion we stopped at McDonald's for a coffee. I became emotional when I realized that I had biked all the way from San Francisco to Texas on 2 wheels. What an accomplishment!
I love the New Mexican drivers. Very courteous, always giving us enough space and never pressing us to go faster or move over. That changed immediately once we were in Texas.
It was only another 20 km to our motel. There is a hostel in El Paso but it had no vacancies and there were no camping, so we booked a cheap motel. I could tell that we were heading towards a bigger city. Lots more traffic and impatient drivers, particularly truck drivers. Honking their horns loudly while beside me scaring the living daylights out of me. I know they are at work but where do you want me to go?
At 1.30 pm we saw our sign "Motel 6". Yeah that's ours. It looks very good. We have a room with 2 beds while Annie is pushed in the corner. Battery is charging, a wonderful shower and off to the grocery store to stock up on food.
I made a Ceasar salad and Chow Mein Terriyaki Chicken. Yummy indeed. Time to unwind and relax.







Great picture of you at the fireplace and loved the one in the grocery store- you look great- glad you can rest in a warm room tonight- be careful in Texas🚴♀️❤️🚴♂️
ReplyDeleteWe worked out a plan for tomorrow. Will leave early so we aren't rushed finding shelter/camping
DeleteBe careful with John Wayne- he’s always up to something ❤️
ReplyDeleteWhat is that restaurant behind the Welcome to Texas sign? That looks good.
ReplyDelete