A tough day
Thursday March 30. Day 26. Day 2 in Texas. El Paso to Esparanzo. 73 miles or 120 km.
The weather forecast for El Paso didn't look too promising. During this past week, several people had alerted us to the fact that a big windstorm was approaching with winds of 60 km per hour and wind gusts of up to 100 km per hour. Not safe for us to be on the road.
Last night we packed up all our gear so that our bikes were ready to go in the morning. Cliff, Vicki's friend, had prepared a turn by turn route which we studied so we wouldn't get lost. Getting lost for us is easy, getting on track not so much.
The alarm was set for 5.30 am thus a short night. We planned to have breakfast at McDonald's but when we got there, they had a problem with their water. No COFFEE! What a bummer. We ate our egg sandwich and began our ride. It was still dark outside making it a bit unsettling. Although we both have good lights on our bikes drivers might not be quite awake this early. For the next 35 km we rode between houses, watching traffic and maneuver through multiple stoplights.
While Vicki stopped at a small store to fill her water bottles I saw 4 young men getting out of their car. Two of them carried a pistol on their side clearly visible to the public. I still can't get used to this sight. I promised myself to be extra careful so as not to upset any Texan man nor woman.
When it became light I could see the clouds. No sunrise for us. It was cool but great for riding. The wind was still calm and at our backs so we made great time. At around 10 am the sky cleared andcit became quite hot, 26 degrees Celcius. We kept our break times to a minimum trying to "outbike" the storm. On our map it showed that in about 15 km there would be a gas station, a little restaurant and a place for our tents. But all we have seen so far were ghost towns with many buildings fallen down and no people. I wasn't convinced that we would find a place for the night.
Vicki saw a horse farm and decided to give it a try. And again she was successful in securing us a place for the night. However a bright tent might scare the horses so space was very limited for us to pitch our tents. We decided to wait it out. Maybe the wind would die down later. But a major sandstorm developed. The wind was wicked and blew everything that wasn't secured away. To set up my tent was a no go, my kitchen didn't do much better, it collapsed and my chair flew up in the air. It wasn't looking good for us.
A girl, I don't know her name, came by with her puppy. I chatted with her briefly and found out that she has a horse trailer with a tiny living quarters in front right here on the farm. She didn't have to tell me twice. What a wonderful offer. Perfect, out of the wind and out of the sand.
The trailer is shaking in the wind and at times I can't see a thing through the window as loads of sand is flying by but so happy that we have a good place for the night.
Our quarters for the night. A new experience. The horse farm is in the middle of nowhere.
I just checked FB to see how the other cyclists on the same route then us are doing. Most of them are stranded somewhere but all are safe. Tomorrow is a new day. Waiting to get access to the only outlet available to us so I can charge my bike as well.
Cliff chuckles about you girls getting lost often❤️
Go for it, Girl !! Je bent een kanjer ! (Wilma)
Poddy







Love all of your detailed info- I feel as if I’m there- I sent Cliff info about the wind - glad he got the word to you- the forecast is worse tomorrow- be aware- thank goodness for farms- cowboys and horse trailers- rest well!
ReplyDeleteCliff chuckles about you girls getting lost often❤️
Rest well- no pistols in the horse trailer- safe travels tomorrow ❤️๐ด♂️❤️
Poddy
Het wil niet echt vlotten met het weer, hรจ ๐ฌ. Dacht je maar even een hart onder de riem te steken. Na regen (en wind ๐ ) komt altijd weer zonneschijn!
ReplyDeleteGo for it, Girl !! Je bent een kanjer !
Dank je wel Wilma. We gaan vol goede moed verder. De wind is wat rustiger. Erg koud vanochtend maar de zon schijnt en dat words ons kacheltje straks
Delete