Goodbye and hello

March 13, Day 10. Encinitas to Alpine. 55 miles or just under 100 km

I was up before 630 am but Vicki beat me to it. So I had to hustle. It was dry but looking at the fly I could have sworn it had rained overnight. Another extra kilo to carry.

We weren't the only ones up early. Surfing is a serious business around this area and many surfers were already searching for that one big wave.

The first 10 miles were beside the ocean and it was easy riding. My phone was working and it was great to have a map telling us where to go. Soon we got in the hills and another round of climbing began. My thoughts became organized just concentrating on the task at hand. Shifting gears in time, watching for debris on the road, and enjoying a beautiful nature.

We rode the outskirts of San Diego. Many camps build by homeless people took away half of our bike path. It took all of my concentration not to ride over an item belonging to someone.  Unfortunately, this resulted in missing the spot where the Pacific Coast Trail crossed the Southern Tier route. By the time I noticed, we were off course.  And then we saw Mark and Richard biking towards us. They had just started the Southern Tier. We followed them for a while. I am sure we will see them again. But for now it is goodbye Pacific Coast Trail  and hello Southern Tier Route


The afternoon consisted of cycling many miles gradually changing from relatively flat to quite some climbing. The landscape was also changing. High mountains with rock formations and a more rugged appearance. The weather also has changed. The sun was shining and it, do I dare to say this, became hot. Wearing way too many clothes but where do I put all these extra clothes? The panniers are full, yet some of the clothes have to come off. 

We stopped at a little local restaurant to see if we could charge our batteries. Michael was very helpful. He brought an extension cable and some ice water. Beer and beef were also offered but we declined.  An hour later we were on our way to Alpine.  




Vicki hoped to secure a spot for us at the fire station but was unsuccessful. No camping, no motels so now what? We saw a Baptist church and knocked on their door. Danielle was so kind. Gave us a spot for our tents, an outlet to charge our bikes and a bathroom. This is the equivalent of a 5 star hotel to us. So happy and thankful. I don't need much to feel happy.


And just now the police showed up. But this time we were prepared. Danielle had written a permission letter we could show the police. He wished us a goodnight and left.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Riding to a New Adventure

Goodbye New Mexico, hello Texas

My final blog