Great day riding
March 12, Day 9 San Clemente to Encinitas 36 miles or 59 km
I woke to heavy fog this morning. The tent was just dripping wet. Not something I had ordered but sometimes orders get screwed up. Today's ride was relatively short so we were in no rush to get going. A relaxed breakfast and of course my morning coffee. The sun tried to peak at me but disappeared again.
We cycled very close to the ocean on a beautiful bike path while the terrain was flat. Yet we didn't make quick progress because we encountered some very cool things along the way.
First was a 5 person bike, called the rocket sprocket. Here's a video where the daughter of one of the engineers explains the process. 5 female athletes were training to break the world record. It was so cool to witness this.
Thirdly the scenery of beach, ocean and surfers was incredible. The surfers were so close we could almost touch them. Even with the heavy fog mother nature showed so much beauty. I was just in awe. We cycled through several beach front towns with beautiful boats in the harbors, patios full of customers, and tourists strolling down the streets having a great time.
The camping in Encinitas was right on our route and again right on the beach. I asked if they had a hiker/biker site and the cost. $15.00 per person. Not bad at all. We had to wait till 4pm for check in so we decided to explore the little town. There was a nice center with tables and chairs. We bought our groceries, bought a coffee and talked with many people. Everyone is interested in what we are doing and want to help. A lady gave us a phone number in Texas and when it is on our route, we have a place to stay.
Camp is set up, dinner is finished, and tomorrow's route has been mapped out. Our bikes are wedged between our 2 tents with 2 locks attached to our tent poles. Time to relax aided by listening to the crashing waves. Makes for a good night sleep 😴








Great to hear your progress even with all of the issues with flooding. When I did this segment they wouldn't let me go through Camp Pendleton! I had to ride on I-5 for 15 miles! Looking forward to the rest of your trip. Best wish and lots of luck to you both.
ReplyDelete