Rainy and cold day
March 21. Day 17. Tempe to Superior. 51 miles or 80 km. Climbed 2200 ft.
Vicki still needed to get her bike from the store so it would be a late start. All our gear was packed in our panniers and Perry was going to deliver it to us in the motel. A very generous gift from him. We booked a motel for the night as the forecast was not good.
It was quite cloudy but the forecast wasn't too bad. Maybe a passing shower. So I only took my rain jacket. Big mistake.
Annie was light in weight and fully charged so the ride was fast. There would be a fair amount of climbing towards Superior but the 1st part was easy riding. It took about an hour to get out of Tempe. The mountains doomed high and intimidating in the distance. And when I read Superstition Mountain on a sign I wasn't all that convinced that the ride was going to be relatively easy. But no panniers made a world of difference.
It wasn't long before the wet stuff started falling. It didn't rain hard yet enough to soak us and made us chilled to the bone by the time we arrived at the Copper Mountain Motel in Superior.
As always we biked through some amazing scenery. Huge mountains, cacti at least 4 meters tall, and many bright yellow and purple flowers. There also was more vegetation. Maybe it rains more here than in Phoenix?
As soon as we arrived at the motel I turned the heat to as high as it would go, 86 degrees Fahrenheit. Both Ruby and Annie are covered in mud and dripping wet. Wet clothes are hung throughout the room in the hopes of drying.
Soon after Perry arrived with our panniers. Dry and warm clothes! Slowly I felt like a human being again rather than an ice woman. I would give anything for a hot coffee but no coffeemaker. This motel has seen better times. Only a fridge and a small microwave. Oh and a bed where you sink into the mattress 😅. But it beats being in a tent with this wet weather.
Perry suggested we'll go to this Mexican restaurant just down the street. Darn it all, about 20 ceiling fans were happily turning at full speed. Even with my down jacket on I could feel the cold. I ordered a hot coffee which arrived in a Styrofoam cup. Our food was served on a paper plate with plastic knife and fork. I guess in Superior people don't like to do dishes. The food was good though.
An hour later we were back in our room where it was slowly becoming pleasant as far as the heat was concerned. I eyed the shower but not convinced it would be a wise idea to try it out. I think that I am going to get my little camping stove out and make myself a tea🍵.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but tomorrow's weather forecast for Superior is...
Cloudy with occasional rain...mainly in the morning. High 53F. Winds WNW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 90%. Rain ending around noon tomorrow.(Cliff)
Praying for you both to have a safe and productive day of riding❤️🚴♀️❤️🚴♂️
Poddy






Fortunately no heavy gear to carry- hoping the rain subsided!
ReplyDeleteHate to be the bearer of bad news but tomorrow's weather forecast for Superior is...
ReplyDeleteCloudy with occasional rain...mainly in the morning. High 53F. Winds WNW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 90%. Rain ending around noon tomorrow.
You two are tougher than I could ever be!
ReplyDeleteInteresting air/ heat window unit- I noticed temp on 88*. - hope today is warmer and dryer- your clothes drying system was quite unique- whatever works right?
ReplyDeletePraying for you both to have a safe and productive day of riding❤️🚴♀️❤️🚴♂️
Poddy