Starbucks coffee
Friday March 24. Day 20. Safford to Duncan 45 mikes or 60 km
As I entered Karen's kitchen this morning a mug full of Starbucks coffee was waiting for me. What a treat! Chuck was the one responsible for this surprise. Thank you Chuck.
After I made avocado toast with an egg I was ready for the road. Although the weather forecast stated 0% chance of rain, we had to find shelter within 10 minutes. The wind was strong and it was cold. So very unusual for Arizona. But at least we had a tailwind.
We only had about 60 km to go, so I took my time. Vicki was long gone and I only met up with her briefly a couple of times. I enjoyed looking around and letting my mind wander. There was no map to figure out. Just follow road 70 all the way to Duncan. No stress at all.
The first 20 miles were all about rolling hills and beautiful Vestas with a mountain ridge in the distance. The sky was a bright blue with thick fluffy clouds. It was easy riding. Soon the slow but steady climb began with the highest point being at 3835 ft. Deep down I was hoping that there would be no descent but that was not the case. It was all down hill towards Duncan which of course has to be climbed again tomorrow.
The scenery also changed as I rode higher. A more rugged mountain ridge made its presence. At times I was riding through the red rocks like being in a tunnel. This protected me from the wind while the sun warmed me. Different cacti also became apparent. I don't know any of their names but I enjoyed seeing them.
Duncan is an interesting little village of about 850 people. It feels like the cowboys on their horses are just around the corner. We stopped at the local bakery to find only subway sandwiches and drinks. I asked if they had fresh brewed coffee all the while eyeballing a coffee pot that was still half full. The girl showed me a list where it appeared that she could make me an Americano. The coffee tasted like it came from that half full pot. Yuk.
Beautiful views- thankful for sweet people and churches for both of you- yay for Starbucks- pedal with caution tomorrow ❤️🚴♂️🚴♀️ Poddy
Zo zie je maar...de kerk heeft ook wel zijn goede kant 😅
Sterkte met jullie klim 👍(Wilma)
Zeker weten. Will je misschien je name onder het berichtje zetten? Het komt binnen als anonymous. Maar leuk dat je meeleest










Beautiful views- thankful for sweet people and churches for both of you- yay for Starbucks- pedal with caution tomorrow ❤️🚴♂️🚴♀️
ReplyDeletePoddy
Zo zie je maar...de kerk heeft ook wel zijn goede kant 😅
ReplyDeleteSterkte met jullie klim 👍
Zeker weten. Will je misschien je name onder het berichtje zetten? Het komt binnen als anonymous. Maar leuk dat je meeleest
DeleteZo beter, hoop ik !?
DeleteHoi Wilma. Prima joh en zo leuk om wat van je te horen. Tot ziens
DeleteThat first cactus with the flat pads is a prickly pear. The second one is a cholla, (pronounced choy ya)
ReplyDeleteDank je wel for the names of the cacti
ReplyDelete