Trains, trucks, and terrible terrain

Saturday March 18, day 15. Dateland to Gila Bend 55 miles or 85 km.

My tent stood between the railroad and the highway. Yesterday I said that I liked the trains but today no so much. I didn't sleep much as it felt like the train was coming right for my tent every hour or so. And then the highway traffic. Just insane. But life goes on so packing up and continuing our ride. 

The scenery really didn't change much from yesterday. It was a day where you better not look too far ahead. Just be in the moment and don't let your mind get to you. A straight road wedged between the highway and the railroad. No end in sight.


For most of the day we rode on the shoulder of this highway. Loads of transport trucks zooming by intermingled with huge big motorhomes. The noise was deafening all the while a little voice in my head said: "you know this is sucks". But a firm talking to myself kept me going.

We haven't seen any stores or food places since yesterday's little Mexican store. I wanted a banana for my wrap but none to be found. It wasn't till we arrived in Gila Bend that we came across a small food market that had a banana and a yogurt. Yes life has been decreased to just the basics. But there was a Mc.Donald which meant coffee!!

While in the restaurant we found the only camping in town so we reluctantly decided to stay there. Again $50.00 for some pebble stoned area. All day we had a very strong headwind and we both were tired. But for this price we at least expected some grassy area. The tent floor has been reinforced with boulders as none of our pegs would go into the hard 

While walking back from my shower I met another cyclist who was followed by his wife in the camper. They invited us over for a campfire this evening. A cold beer, good conversation, and awesome people brought a tough day to a good end.

                               You two are my heroes! 🚴  🚴 Keep smiling. 🤗Lincoln girl (Cliff)
        

                                 


Comments

  1. Hello from anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello from Cliff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello from a Google account. You should be able to receive comments from all three now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You two are my heroes! 🚴 🚴
    Keep smiling. 🤗Lincoln girl

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m thrilled I can finally comment- I’ve tried several times and coukd not-I love reading your posts- very informative!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Riding to a New Adventure

Goodbye New Mexico, hello Texas

My final blog