A Dutch surprise

Wednesday April 5. Day 31. Seminole Canyon to Del Rio 33 miles or 55 km. Day 8 in Texas




An easy day ahead so I could sleep in.  But mother nature had other ideas. I was woken up around 5 am by a fierce wind that didn't back off. Luckily I had tied extra lines on my tent but by 6.30 am the poles started to bend. I quickly packed all my gear while strategically taking down my tent.

I looked over at Vicki's tent and that looked scary. The wind had gotten a hold of hers and any minute her poles would cave in. I helped her to get going and then Down crawled out of his tent and needed help. After all tents were safe I tried to boil water for a coffee but that was fruitless so I just ate some dry cereal as there was nothing else to eat. 

As soon as we hit the road things started to improve. Wind from the side for a little while but in Comstock, 1st little village in over 150 km, there was a small store that sold coffee. Down treated us to some cake and cookies, yes cyclists do eat healthy. We turned the corner and a tailwind blew us to Mark and Jannie our hosts for tonight.




Mark was waiting for us and the minute Jannie told me her name I knew that she was Dutch just like me. Furthermore, we were born only 30 km from each other. Jannie is from Amersfoort and I am from Barneveld. What a coincidence.  They both used to ride motor cycles but now each have a trike. Beautiful machines and of course a great photo opportunity. 

After we plugged in our bikes to charge we were invited for a coffee. And of course Mark came with a large container full of "dropjes"! We discussed the plans for the day.  We were supposed to camp in the backyard. But that changed to setting up our tents in the garage to maybe you can all stay in our son's trailer. Guess which option we chose....


Our bikes needed maintenance and Mark loved to help us or maybe Vicki and I watched while Mark did the work. We showered and did laundry. Later on we'll go for groceries and Mike and Jannie are taking us out for pizza.  

The pizza place was awesome.  Great pizza and even better salads. We just about rolled out of there.



Afterwards we stopped at Walmart for some groceries. That's where I saw the hair salon. My hair has been bugging me for a while so time for another cut. 




Now it is time to settle in for the night. A fairly heavy week coming up. We said goodnight to our awesome hosts Mark and Jannie and lights out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Riding to a New Adventure

Goodbye New Mexico, hello Texas

My final blog