Bike trouble

Wednesday April 26th . Day 51. Milton to DeFuniak Springs 68 miles or 110 km.

The morning started off good. Eventhough there was no breakfast only a grumpy hotel owner, the mood was good. The sun was shining and it felt warm. We had an early start and were on the road shortly after 7 am. A calm wind so no worries. We wanted to get to DeFuniak Springs about a 100 km ride. There are thunderstorms in the forecast for tonight so we decided to go with a motel rather than a camping.

                                                                 Leaving in the morning

It wasn't long before my bike troubles started (again). This issue has plagued my bike since I reached the 900 mile mark. A warning shows up on my computer stating that there's an issue with the speed sensor. In the past it would shut down but for the past 10 days or so it just provides me with a tiny bit of power. The bike has been to 4 different shops and the main verdict is an issue with software update. Yet it isn't fixed as after a couple of thousand miles with no problems now it showed up again.

Needless to say that I don't trust the system but moreover it is extremely tiring to peddle a 100 lbs bike with no assistance.  For about 50% of today's ride that was the case. I am exhausted and quite worried. As long as the terrain remains flat and the headwind isn't too strong I can do it. But any variation of either one and it's too much. 

My 3 friends have tried everything to locate the problem but to no avail. Giant has to look at my bike and that won't be easy. Their customer service is bad. But for now I won't worry about them but worried about making it to Saint Augustine sometime next week. 

I didn't take many pictures as there wasn't a whole lot of different scenery. However, in the afternoon an intense but short shower made us run for shelter.  We  picked the right place. A really neat family run restaurant that served the most amazing homemade burgers. But before we could place our order the waitress asked if we had locked our bikes. We said no but she insisted that we do so. Then she wasn't happy that we had blocked the entrance for wheelchairs so back out we went again. Finally satisfied, she told us that the motel next to the restaurant houses inmates who just have been released from prison. We thanked her for her concern and finally our burgers arrived. For sure the best one I have had in while. 

                      The rain had stopped, my bike decided to do her job and the motel was booked.

                                             

We wanted to do some laundry but the washer was broken. We paid for breakfast but the lobby is being fixed so no breakfast and no reduction in price. The manager promised to bring us some yogurt, milk, cereal, and coffee but still waiting. I feel that isn't going to happen any time soon.

                                               Laundry drying. Used tree as a clothes line

Tomorrow we start with route map 7. The last one. 630 km left. I plan on finishing it even if my bike doesn't. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Riding to a New Adventure

Goodbye New Mexico, hello Texas

My final blog