Goodbye Alabama, hello Florida
Tuesday April 25. Day 50. Gulf Shores to Milton. 60 miles or 100 km.
After a restless night because there was a choir of snoring men we found out that the hotel provided a simple breakfast which made everything well. Coffee, yogurt, cereal and fruit. It tasted so good. And soon we were ready to "hit the road (Jack)". This was our motto each morning.
The route began with a beautiful bike path through Gulf State Park. Smooth pavement, lots of trees to protect us from the wind, and a ton of singing birds. It was smooth sailing. The plan was to bike about 100 km so lots of time. However, one of the guys had an infection and that needed medical attention. So it was decided to find a medical clinic to have it checked out. But before we found a clinic, we entered the state of Florida. We stopped to take pictures of the "Welcome to Florida" sign.
What a great feeling. I am convinced that I am going to make it to Saint Augustine. High fives all around.
In Pensacola there was an emergency walk-in clinic and so began the wait. We sat on a bench and noticed that 6 fighter jets were practicing their formation flights. It was very cool and entertaining to watch them do their complicated maneuvers. Finely, after visiting the pharmacy for antibiotics, we could continue with our route. We ate some lunch and made 4 cups of Douwe Egberts coffee as none was available for sale. By 1 o'clock we started the second leg of our 100 km journey.
And what a journey it was. We biked right beside the Golf of Mexico.
Because we had a late start we arrived late in Milton where we expected to find a hotel. Unfortunately, one hotel was closed which gave the other one an opportunity to increase their price. No other choice than to bite the bullet. With the steep price we expected some perks. None whatsoever. David had to argue for extra coffee as there was only one package. He managed to get a 2nd one but that was it. Not enough towels etc either. Pretty poor service. I think I will be camping tomorrow. But for tonight I am safe and taken care of. So grateful.
4 cups of coffee surely gave you a boost of energy! I hope your friend's medical condition is improving. I have NO doubts that you are going to complete your mission to reach St. Augustin. Much love from Louisiana! (Pam)








4 cups of coffee surely gave you a boost of energy! I hope your friend's medical condition is improving. I have NO doubts that you are going to complete your mission to reach St. Augustin. Much love from Louisiana!
ReplyDelete