Longest and toughest day yet

Friday April 28th. Day 53 Bonifay to Tallahassee  97.5 miles or 157 km.

After many naps yesterday and a good night sleep we all were ready to get some miles in today. We were on the road at 6.50 am. There was heavy fog, yet it already felt warm. The road had good pavement and not too much debris on it so the cycling was easy till.... yes you guessed it, my motor shut down again. But really strange, it only lasted for 30 minutes and then it started again. Thank goodness. Still unnerving and frustrating.

The scenery was about the same than the previous couple of days. Lots of green grass, mature trees on both sides of the road, and rolling hills. We stopped at regular intervals to drink a coffee, to eat something and fill our bottles with cold water. I think I drank at least 4 bottles. The sun came out and the fog lifted while the temperature got warmer. 



I saw some big mansions that reminded me of a movie about slavery. The lawns were all manicured and on the verandas were several rocking chairs. So inviting.


round noon we lost another hour and are now on the same time than at home. It was then that the guys decided to bike to Tallahassee which was another 80 km on top of what we already had done. I told them that I would try but it all depends on my motor.  So off we went again. 

All went smoothly till there was about 40 km left. My motor shut down and didn't start again. We changed batteries twice but to no avail. To make matters worse there were quite a few hills that looked intimidating. I just didn't have much energy left and I felt overwhelmed. I had to make it but man I had to dig deep. Twice I had to stop as my stomach content came up. I was close to crying. The guys were great though. One stayed behind me and the two others stopped once in a while and told me how many km were left. Physically I wasn't alone but mentally and emotionally I felt so lonely. I want to go home so badly.

Yet I made it to the hotel! My entire body was shaking and dripping wet from sweat. But a great room, a king-sized bed, and a hot shower made it good again. I will deal with tomorrow tomorrow.  Now it's time for dinner.  The amigos are putting a load of laundry in and that's no luxary. 

Today we only met friendly people. The majority of people here are black so for once we were the minority. Yet, every person we met said hi to us, the cars gave us friendly honks, and when we were eating our lunch sitting on the pavement, a man said: "you guys must have been on the road for a while". We all had a good laugh and we felt accepted. This is the "other" side of America. And I feel privileged to experience this side on my bike.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Riding to a New Adventure

Goodbye New Mexico, hello Texas

My final blog