Love
Saturday April 15th. Day 41. Navasota to Shepherd. 85 miles or 137 km. Day 18 in Texas.
It must have been a quiet night at the fire station as I didn't hear anything till a thunderstorm rolled through around 5 am which woke me up. Surprise, surprise when one of the fire fighters told me that they had 2 calls during the night. I didn't hear a thing 🤔.
Don made a pot of excellent coffee and we talked for a while with the 3 on duty fire fighters. I was anxious to get going as I wasn't sure where I would end up. So at 8 am we were on the road. We briefly stopped at Walmart for a few groceries. Don cycled with me till Anderson, roughly 16 km from Navasota. We said our goodbyes and I was on my own.
The weather was hot and the landscape consisted out of many rolling hills. There was very little shade so it didn't take long before my clothes became soaked with sweat. The road was narrow but with a decent shoulder. Yet it took my close attention as the speed some trucks used were way too high. I crossed a bridge across Lake Conroe. There were boats on the water and people fishing. Most of the route was through Little Lake Creek Wilderness. Forest on both sides of the road. Very beautiful.
Soon I found my rhythm while I tried to organize my thoughts. I was told that Cold Spring was a popular camping spot among cyclists so my initial thought was to stay there for the night. Till I met Hannah and Corinne 2 young cyclists going in the opposite direction. They highly recommended to cycle a bit further to the Shepherd Sanctuary. I got a good feeling about this place so if I still have the energy I will decide in Cold Spring if I will go on. It will pack quite a few km for me.
After 137 km of cycling in the heat I reached the Sanctuary. It name does it justice. It is a beautiful and peaceful place. There is an outdoor as well as an indoor rain shower, soft white towels, laundry and many places to sit and relax. I am allowed to sleep inside as there are thunderstorms in the forecast. And all of this for $10.00.
I sat on a soft bench for an hour sipping cold water. Slowly I began to feel better. This definitely was the right decision. The owners are super nice people. Very accommodating. I am safe from the storms and will decide tomorrow if I go on or stay an extra day. For now I am content.








Comments
Post a Comment