Marfa Marfa where are you!!
Saturday April 1. Day 28 Van Horn to Marfa. 74 miles or 120 km. Day 4 in Texas.
We left later than usual as an other change in time threw us off. This is the 3rd time that we jumped an hour ahead. Just before we left our great host Rita we checked the wind. It would be against us but reasonable calm wind.
Well that didn't pen out. The 1st part was good. A straight road, climbing right from the beginning but a slow climb and it wasn't too challenging. By 11 am the wind started picking up and it became a chore to make any progress. That straight road was getting on my nerves so I tried to think of some more pleasant things which helped a little but 120 km of straight road is a killer.
Today we saw several cyclists coming from the opposite site. First we saw Jake from South Carolina followed by Filippe from France. We chatted with both of them for a while and we shared tips on good campings and food. Soon we were on our way to Marfa again. And our constant companion was the wind.
We stopped for lunch at Valentine. A town where 73 people live. We didn't see any. However, as we stopped for lunch Don another cyclist was about to leave. We chatted for a bit and he is also going to Marfa. At times we felt sorry for him as the wind kept on getting stronger.
After what seemed forever, actually 7 hours of intense riding, I finally saw some buildings, a farm and some beautiful art on the side of the road. And I saw the welcome sign to Marfa. Of course I had to stop to take a picture. I doubted many times if there ever would be a Marfa. But it does exist. Thank goodness, the end is in sight.
We stopped for some groceries and went straight for the camping. Totally exhausted, nothing left in my tank. All I want to do is sit and vegetate. Luckily I found a beer. I don't know what kind and I don't care. It will taste awesome.
The camping is primitive with a lot of goat heads. These are nasty sharp prickly things that will puncture any tires and the bottom of my tent. So I decided not to put up my tent outside but inside the laundry/gathering room. Just perfect.
Don arrived as well. He told me that he was crying and ready to go home. It was for him the toughest day as well. He questioned himself why he was doing this. Yet after a shower, some food and a drink we all still love what we are doing and will continue tomorrow.
Poor Don- cheer him up- glad you found a beer to replenish those electrolytes - love all the art ❤️
Rest well❤️🚴♀️❤️
Poddy













Poor David- cheer him up- glad you found a beer to replenish those electrolytes - love all the art ❤️
ReplyDeleteRest well❤️🚴♀️❤️
Poddy