Still in Texas

Thursday April 13th. Day 39. Smithville (TX) to Round Top. 46 miles or 75 km. Day 16 in Texas.

We had a very late start as we were hoping to have an update re:Vicki.  Unfortunately her appointment was delayed by 1 hour so we decided to leave at 10.30 am.

The route guided us out of the State Park towards some rolling hills surrounded by farm land. I saw some farms but no animals.  Both sides of the road were covered with wild flowers. I also noted many different colored butterflies 🦋.  Very pretty.



We ate lunch at the DQ in LA Grange. A town of just over 4500 people. I talked with a couple who live in Texas but close to the Mexican border and they were interested in hearing my experience with people I meet along the way.

We stopped at a grocery store where an older man from Texas warned us to be careful as he believes that all people are crazy. That is just the opposite of what I experience cycling through America. People are kind, hospitable and friendly. Sure there are others but the majority of people are good.

We had another 30 km to go before we would be in Round Top so time to get going again. However, the camping in Roundtop was closed. I tried several places I thought might be able to help, including the mayor, but wasn't successful. Don in the meantime had found this really cool Cafe where they sell yummy pies. Kelly, the waitress, helped Don to find us a place for the night.



                
But a few times a year there is a huge antique market where people from around the country flock to and make this village burst at its seams with antique hunters. Their last event was this past April and there's still remnants of tents laying around. During this time the cafe sells between 300 and 400 pies a day. Every pie is made in the shop which is at the back of the cafe. I tasted a piece and it was so delicious. Great decorations as well with golden olden music playing. We took our sweet time before we finally cycled the last 3.5 miles to our camping.



Maybe camping is too big of a word to describe this place as there are only 3 trailers, an outhouse and an outdoor shower. Pretty cool though. The water was hot and we have lots of space for our tents. Not bad at all

.

                                                 Writing my blog asks for concentration 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Riding to a New Adventure

Goodbye New Mexico, hello Texas

My final blog