Together we are stronger

Monday April 3. Day 29. Marathon to Sanderson. 57 miles or 92 km. Day 6 in Texas

After checking our tires for any goatheads we left at 8.30 am. 

                                                       

The distance and the scenery were similar than yesterday except a bit more climbing. It was hot after yet another very cold night. I like the heat but man this sun is very intense. No matter how much sun protection I put on, my skin still gets red. The other problem is burnt lips. Even on the inside of my mouth. I put a mask on today to have even more protection. I spoke with some other cyclists and they experience the same problem. We are on the hunt for higher UV protection.



                                                                Beautiful flowering cacti 

Don, the cyclist we sort of tag along with, joined us today so we stopped a few times along the way. Don had read on a plaque that the little villages e.g. Marfa, Marathon and Sanderson, were all built precisely on the spot where the steam train could make it. That's why the distances between these villages are roughly the same. Quite interesting. 

Vicki saw a train waiting for what?? So she thought that it would be fun to each climb on the ladder of this train and hold hands as a symbol of "stronger together ". Don would take the picture. Well it didn't work out. The steps were quite high and our arms too short. Yet we got a cool picture and memory. 

We were hoping for a McDonald's but with only 650 people living in Sanderson that was too far of a stretch. As I saw a gas station I thought I'll ask where there is a grocery store. A white truck stopped and as I passed him the man said something I couldn't hear. Within 5 minutes Vicki joined me and told me that it was the pastor of the First Baptist church. Mike the pastor had invited the 3 of us to stay at the church. There is a shower, laundry, a hot meal tonight and breakfast in the morning. So happy and grateful. 

So as I am finishing my today's blog I can't help but be amazed by so much kindness, friendliness and love.

                                                    

Comments

  1. You take such beautiful puctures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deb. I love taking pictures but they don't always turn out. Nice to hear from you

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Riding to a New Adventure

Goodbye New Mexico, hello Texas

My final blog