We made it to Austin Texas!
Tuesday April 11. Day 37. Johnston City to Austin. 66.4 miles or 107 km. Day 14 in Texas
Our sleep was riddled with noises from trucks, cars and honking horns. Vicki didn't sleep much at all as she has a tooth infection which gradually has gotten worse. She will be able to get antibiotics in Austin. Vicki also needed to go to a Trek bikestore as she needed an important electronic part replaced. All the arrangements were made and the part was waiting for her.
We left with the 3 of us but soon we were with the two of us as Don was taking a different route to Austin. He will spend the night with his friend while Vicki and I will visit a family friend. We were told that it was going to be all downhill to Austin so we were anticipating an easy ride.
That dream came quickly to an end when our route felt more like a roller-coaster ride than a downhill affair. The Texan drivers became also more aggressive. Several times trucks were honking their horns loudly as they were upset that we took our space on the road. In total we climbed 4255 ft. No small task! The climbing robbed my energy quickly, my legs were burning, as were my lungs yet I needed to stay alert as the traffic was indicative of a large city. We rode through some fancy neighborhoods with multi million dollar homes. It has been a while since we saw some decent homes. Seeing those mansions make me appreciate my Annie even more.
Eventhough we had excellent directions to the bikestore it became challenging to find our way. Several times we needed help with our directions but eventually, after 3 hours since we left the official route, the Trek sign came in sight. I can't tell you how happy I was to see that store. My legs felt like rubber. I could just lie down on the floor in the bikestore and have a nap.
The guys from the Trek store were fantastic. My bike was allowed in their store. Two chairs were waiting for us. Nathan took my panniers off my bike and helped me plug in the charger while he handed me a bottle of water. Slowly, after eating my famous wrap with peanut butter and banana, I felt my energy come back. I can do this! I am not giving up. I just need to sit a little longer.
Nathan also installed a new mirror on my bike. Mine broke a while ago and Rita, who I met some time ago, had given me a new one. Very kind of her but I had a hard time seeing what was coming from behind so time to fix it. My kickstand needed tightening as well. My bike is so heavy that there's no kickstand which isn't buckling under such a load.
After about 1.5 hrs Vicki's bike was ready. I once again loaded my gear onto my bike and off we went. It was an easy 16 km to Vicki's family friend and we arrived around 4 pm at Caleb's house. A warm welcome followed. I have my own bedroom with a bathroom. I showered and our laundry is in the washing machine. Pizza has been ordered so life is wonderful again.
I am in awe that we cycled all the way from San Francisco to Austin Texas. It hasn't sunk in completely but soon it will.




Comments
Post a Comment