I made it!!
Monday May 1st. Day 56. Olusbee to Jacksonville Amtrak Train Station. 45 miles or 73 km.
I woke early after a good night sleep. It was still dark and I wondered if it would be light enough by the time I finished packing. I felt very nervous and my stomach was in a knot. The coffee was good though. By the time I was finished there was enough light to drag all my bags back to the road. At 7 am I "hit the road Jack"!
My motor was working. A light tailwind and smooth pavement made for perfect riding. I followed highway 90 East for many miles till a beautiful rail trail called: it was 20 km long with no traffic. About halfway Annie stopped and I had another 25 km to go. So the pace slowed down but I didn't become upset anymore. What's the point. I will get there. I had excellent directions so no worries. The sun was smiling at me.
And by 1045 am I cycled onto the Amtrak parking lot. I walked inside and the Amtrak employee told me that the battery had to be removed. I parked Annie, looked for a strong guy and asked him to help me with my battery removal. Success! Then I began reorganizing my gear so it would fit into my duffel-bag.
I walked to McDonald's for a coffee and something to eat. It hasn't sunk in yet. My hands are still shaking and very little appetite. I guess that's how exhaustion feels like. Almost 1000 km on my own power! Not sure what I will do with Annie. Time will tell. For now I am happy that I made it. It hurts that I had to skip Saint Augustine but it is what it is.
I am very proud of my accomplishments. I don't have the stats yet but they will be impressive.
I am so excited for you. You met your goal, as I had no doubt you would. You will soon have Jack in your lap! We will always count you as a dear friend! (Pam)
Congratulations! Buffalo is an unusual destination, unless you plan to meet someone to see Niagara Falls? Hope the train ride goes smoothly! (Roderick Young)
Congratulations! We knew you could do it! (Colvin Le Doux)
Congratulations Hendrika. You Are the toughest cyclist i know. I have read your blog every day and followed you on Google maps. Wow, what a ride. Hope to meet you in Europe in the future. Hugs from Denmark (Wenche)




Congratulations! Buffalo is an unusual destination, unless you plan to meet someone to see Niagara Falls? Hope the train ride goes smoothly!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! We knew you could do it!
ReplyDeleteThank you Colvin. It was tough at times but no quitting for me. Feeling very accomplished. You and Pam were so helpful. I will always remember your kindness
DeleteAmazing! I love reading your blog pretty much every day. Congratulations!!
ReplyDeleteThank you. It feels very good. Can you please tell me who you are as it shows up as anonymous.
DeleteCongratulations Hendrika. You Are the toughest cyclist i know. I have read your blog every day and followed you on Google maps. Wow, what a ride. Hope to meet you in Europe in the future. Hugs from Denmark
ReplyDeleteThank you Wenche. A tough but great trip. Feeling accomplished. I will be in Denmark in June of this year. Who knows....
Delete