Homeward Bound
Tuesday May 2nd. Day 57. Amtrak train Jacksonville to New York. New York to Buffalo.
The Amtrak train arrived on time. I was prepared and had organized my 2 panniers and my battery was in a carry-on bag. Backpack on my back. No worries right. Well I think that Amtrak took out one of their oldest trains which made boarding very challenging. The bike car was the last one of the train so I rushed over there.
To my horror I was told to lift my bike up about 1.5 meters and hand it to the Amtrak staff. Well I wasn't able to do this so I told the Amtrak employee but his response was: "well then your bike won't come with you". I got angry and told him to wait while I would secure some help. I saw this man stretching his legs so I asked him to help me. He said of course and 2 minutes later I was running back with my panniers towards the train car where I would spend the next 18 hours. A very narrow entrance with 4 high steps. I made the first 3 steps but then my right leg couldn't support me so I had to stop. I was told to hurry up. Right and how would I do that? Fortunately, a man saw my struggle and picked up my panniers and battery bag so now I had both hands available to get up the stairs safely.
Inside it wasn't much better. Passengers everywhere. The train was completely full. No place to store my panniers so in front of my seat they went. Thus sleeping in an upright chair. How pleasant that would be. After a coffee and another peanut butter wrap I settled in for the night. I was tired.
I slept pretty good considering the crowded place. The time went quite fast. I used every fresh air break to stretch my legs and that's where I met Dennis, the man who helped me with my bike. He's also a cyclist starting his trip on the East Coast for several weeks. Nice to know that he will help me with getting my bike off the train in New York.
So we introduced ourselves and Dennis and I spent some time together.
We took some pictures of New York but it began to rain and hail. I was wearing shorts. That did not feel good so back inside we went.
I bought a "good" coffee and a bagel while Dennis and I kept each other company. Soon an older couple joined us and a pleasant conversation followed. Dennis checked out how to go about boarding our trains. Each station is slightly different. This was very helpful for me.
After Dennis left, I went back to the ticket booth and waited till they could tell me what platform I needed to be. Lots of help and I didn't have to do anything. Bye Annie I'll see you in Buffalo. I made my way to the car and settled in. After a few minutes water began to pour from the luggage compartment above me. A lady had put a cooler up there and placed it sideways. The water was dirty and I was wet. Staff came to help while the lady walked away.
They gave me a new seat all by myself, offered some chlorix wipes and a million apologies. I hope that the rest of the trip will be flawless. I know that the staff will do everything possible to make it pleasant for me and the other passengers.
Homeward bound. It feels good.
It was so nice to meet you! And I'm glad we had some time to hang out in NY at the beautiful new Penn Station! I'm just getting started on reading about your trip but of course I ended up here first :) Hope all is well! (Dennis).







It was so nice to meet you! And I'm glad we had some time to hang out in NY at the beautiful new Penn Station! I'm just getting started on reading about your trip but of course I ended up here first :) Hope all is well!
ReplyDelete